Wednesday, December 16, 2009

MVA Threatens to Change Policy on Gender Markers

The MVA (Maryland Vehicle Administration) is updating their policies for next year and are thinking about changing their policy on gender markers. The new policy would make it harder for transgender individuals to change their gender, forcing them to show an amended birth certificate, go to court, and pay more fees. The current policy is working for everybody, so there isn't a reason to change it. For many transgender people it is very important to have legal documents that match their gender identity for a variety of reasons. The change would be effective on January 1st, 2010.

Current Policy: To change the gender marker, an applicant must provide a physician or psychologist’s report to confirm that the applicant is in active treatment. The MVA requires annual re-evaluations until the applicant "meets requirements for permanent gender change." If you are using a name other than your birth name, you must bring the document that initiated the change of name, such as a marriage certificate, divorce decree or court name change order and your current License.

New Policy: The new policy would require an amended birth certificate. This requires going through the court system. Maryland code states that they will issue a birth certificate reflecting the proper gender only upon receipt of a certified copy of an order of from a court indicating that the sex of an individual born has been changed by surgical procedure and whether such individual's name has been changed. You cannot change the sex on a birth certificate simply by providing proof that you are undergoing medical treatment or procedures for gender reassignment.

Do do something about this send a message here.

You can learn more at Equality Maryland.

No comments: